Some rules for training from ‘The Clicked Retrieve’ by Lana Mitchell
- Keep training sessions short and frequent
- Only introduce a cue after the behaviour exists.
- Allow your dog to learn on his own by experiencing which behaviours get rewarded and which are not.
- Start by rewarding for accuracy then raise criteria in small increments by adding the 3 D’s – distance duration and distraction
- Remain quiet when training to let the dog concentrate
- Remain calm – don’t get frustrated and lower criteria if training isn’t progressing.
- When your dog gets it – move ahead.
- End on a good note